LOCATION: We are based–as is this position–in Tempe, AZ—an upbeat college town in the Greater Phoenix Metro area.
THE NUTS AND BOLTS OF THE JOB: We’re looking for an exceptional individual. If it’s you, you’ll be an integral part of our firm’s Design & Creative team. Here’s our wish list. It’s ambitious, so we ask that you are as well:
As a graphic designer with Zion & Zion, you’ll work side-by-side with your fellow designers. We have a flat organization, so there’s no “higher” creative standing over your shoulder telling you pixel by pixel what to do like in traditional agencies. We require that all of our designers have the ability to present their work to clients eloquently and thoroughly, as well as hit the ground running when concepting and designing. How you grow, and who you become, is entirely in your hands.
Our flat organization means we expect you to be a self-starter, manage your time, push your skills to the next level every day, and do whatever it takes to execute killer designs with little management. You need to be able to bounce between a wide variety of clients and projects, giving the same enthusiasm to the small projects as you would to the big ones. Our flat organization means that we are all on the same playing field, and with that comes great responsibility to work hard, communicate with each other, and hit the proverbial ball out of the park.
In this position, you’ll work day to day on the design of everything from print and outdoor, to logos, web banners and emails. You’ll have the opportunity to work directly with clients, Zion & Zion front-end and back-end web/app developers, UX designers, brand strategists, account managers, PR/social team, and content marketing team.
You’ll get to do cool things that also are the “right” things to do for the client.
You’ll get to propose new ideas, tools and techniques, and you’ll get to attend industry conferences in far flung lands, such as Tucson—just kidding. WE DO INDEED send our people all over the country to key conferences to facilitate continuous improvement of their skills. And we encourage continuous learning and support the idea of our company making software purchases that facilitate our designers doing ever-increasingly creative things. In fact, to the best of our knowledge, Zion & Zion has, by far, the largest per team member training and development budget of any agency in the Southwest.
Specifically, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- 4-year bachelor’s degree in graphic design
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience—agency experience a plus but not required
- Expert in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Ability to work in a team environment with other designers, developers, and account managers
- Strong typography skills
- Must be able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle several projects simultaneously
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience working on both interactive and print projects
- Ability to follow creative direction and existing branding and also create great concepts and designs from scratch
- Ability to execute a wide variety of design styles
- Any additional skills such as photography or illustration are a plus
The successful applicant must have a truly diverse portfolio and must be absolutely committed to doing whatever it takes to move themselves, Zion & Zion, and our clients forward.
Exceptional oral and written communications skills and ability to present to clients are a must.
Think you’re the perfect addition to our design team? Then submit your resume, salary requirements, and a PDF showcasing that you have experience in designing for everything from branding and web design to print, email marketing, and social media.
Yep, we want it all. We hope you do too. Are you the guy or gal for the job?
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
WE ARE: A full-service marketing technology, data strategy, analytics, advertising, interactive, public relations, and social media agency. We have a culture driven by innovation, fun, and a wealth of energetic and experienced talent.
OUR CULTURE: We have a relatively flat organization and extremely limited hierarchy that facilitates collaboration and open communication both within and across departments, and to senior leaders.
We bring together all of our team members three to four times per year for a week of in-person collaboration and professional development.
Everyone is equipped with two to three monitors for their home office, and people are free to work relatively flexible hours, within their own time zone.
We are as much about learning and thought leadership as we are about profitability. We believe that the smarter we are, and the more collaborative we are, and the more we embrace innovation and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible, the better both our people and our organization will perform.
Our senior leaders are always accessible to absolutely anyone in the organization for a quick Zoom chat on thought leadership, innovation, or career-development advice. Whatever our people need, we’re there for them.
We pride ourselves on our agility and doing what other agencies either cannot do, or cannot do fast enough.
We also pride ourselves on what we call being T-shaped. i.e. we encourage people to learn and grow by understanding agency functions across our organization. T-shaped people can be contrasted with I-shaped people–The “T” is the idea that you have horizontal connections to what is beside you, as opposed to the “I” representing being siloed and vertical.
The crowning jewel of every year here at Zion & Zion is a truly epic, multi-day, agency holiday event at a resort (in 2022, the event was held at Disney World in Florida).
- United Health Care Health Benefits: Zero wait period, 8 plans to choose from, receive medical coverage on Day 1
- United Health Care Dental & VSP vision: Zero wait period, receive dental & vision coverage on Day 1
- FSA & HSA options: pretax contributions towards qualified health expenses
- Optum Wellness: get personalized wellness coaching
- 401(k): plus Roth options
- Employer Paid Basic Term Life & Personal Accident Insurance
- Voluntary Employee paid Disability Insurance
- Training & Development: Online training courses, online learning resources, virtual learning events, certifications available
- Perks at Work: discounts and member pricing for more than 1,500 merchants
- Employee Assistance Program: access registered nurses, counselors, virtual doctor visits, legal consultation, and much more
- Commuter Benefits: pretax dollars can be used for mass transit fees and parking
- Adoption Assistance– reimbursed up to $1,500 of eligible adoption expenses
- Financial Convenience Benefits– Multiple payroll direct deposit options, pay cards, 529 College Savings plan deposits
- Generous PTO and Flexible Work Hours
OUR CREDENTIALS: We are consistently ranked among the top agencies, web development firms, and public relations firms, and while we have a track record of winning a substantial number of creative awards, we pride ourselves on being a strategy-first agency with a deep MarTech, CDP, digital and analytics core. Very important to us is our ranking by both The Business Journal and Career Builder as a Best Place to Work.